Monday, January 14, 2008

White cell counts and shots

Having cancer is overwhelming! There is so much to think about and to consider. I went to have blood drawn and then I waited for the results to see if my cell counts (white and red) were OK or if they were in need of a "boost". I was called back by the nurse and told that while my red cell counts were "excellent" my white counts were "borderline low". So she gave me a shot. Didn't hurt going in and so far it hasn't hasn't hurt otherwise. I have heard/read horror stories so I'll wait and see. I think the worst it will do is make me achy and I am used to that feeling already. I told the nurse about my sore throat and what I had been doing for it - just taking aspirin to make the pain go away - and she kind of looked at me like I was an idiot and said that she would tell the doctor and would call me if he decided he wanted to do anything about it. The shot is supposed to boost bone marrow production so that's why it makes the joints hurt. We'll see what happens. Right now its just this sore throat that is making me want to go home and lie down. Mt throat feels swollen and so every time I try to swallow it hurts. Tom looked at it but he said it didn't look like strep so I'll just wait and see. I haven't had any fever so that's a very good thing.
Wore my wig today and it feels so strange. I doubt I will really start wearing it until my hair actually starts coming out. I wore it because I had told everyone at work and I knew they wanted to see it. I just can't seem to get used to looking at myself in the mirror! Its just not me anymore! But its temporary - only temporary.

No comments: