Thursday, March 27, 2008

Today I helped someone.......I hope

I went to see the Radiologist today. I had met with her before and already knew that I liked her. She is full of "piss and vinegar" or is a "spitfire"....... most of you probably know what I mean. She is sassy.
So her nurse explained everything to me again and laid down the rules. No underwire bras, no shaving under the arm on the side where my breast cancer was found (and let me tell you during chemo that would be no problem as hair didn't grow there but any other time not shaving at least every other day is not an option), and no deoderant (HA!) in additon to some cream that I have to slather on every day. It should be interesting. Don't know much about it and how it will affect me. I'll just have to wait and see.
So, when I was walking out of the doctor's office a lady was just getting out of her car and noticed me walking to my car. She said, "Excuse me. Can I talk to you for a moment?" I assume that she noticed my baldness and decided that I might know something about cancer? I told her sure and she proceeded to tell me that she has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. I stood there and let her tell me her story. I have found that most people only want to talk about themselves and if you listen to them and let them vent them they will appreciate it. In my small way I like to do that. I have been told I am a good listener and I tried to listen to her today. She had a hard life also and was questioning whether or not her previous "escapades" had made God give her this cross to bear. I told her that my God is a loving God and he is NOT a vengeful God and I would never believe that something like this would be a punishment. She asked me about losing my hair and feeling bad and tired all the time and we talked for about 1/2 hour in the parking lot. She cried and I cried and we hugged and she thanked me for my help but mostly I think she just wanted someone to listen to her. I hope that I helped. It felt good to try to tell someone getting ready to start this CRAZINESS that one can live thru it and come out on the other side - even though it may feel like it will never end and one may question one's sanity during it all.
I read today that a lady on the message boards said it took her 1 year to get her strength back. I must be patient then because I am tired of being tired. I want some energy back! I don't want to huff and puff every time I walk up a flight of stairs or walk to my car, etc. I have started walking again and hope that helps also.
I am still overwhelmed and fearful but I am trying to get my head on straight again. Spring is here and the flowers are blooming and that always makes me feel a little "froggie" as I put it. That just means that I am ready to lay in the sunshine and feel the warmth and smell the fragrance and just be where things are NEW again. I love Spring! It is by far my favorite time of the year.
Not much more to discuss right now. I hope that everyone has a great weekend!
Cheers to all!

No comments: