Thursday, May 22, 2008

What's next?

So, I was looking at my calendar today and happened to look at June. My next Oncologist appointment is June 13th. The week before I have to have blood drawn to have tumor markers measured. So I looked at what tests he had requested on my lab sheet and then decided to look those up and see what they mean. Here are the two that he requested: Cancer Antigen 27.29 (CA 27.29) and Carcinoembryonic Antigen (CEA). When I researched this I found the following: CA 27.29 test primarily measures metastatic carcinoma of the breast - which I do not have. So, of course, my ego got hold of me and briefly I freaked! My mind started telling me "stories" and I actually bought into them - as I said - briefly. Then I brought myself back to the present moment and realized that whatever I "think" MAY happen in the future is NOT REAL! Did you know that your body cannot tell the difference between a thought and the real thing? For example, if you hear a noise in your house at night and start to think, "Someone is breaking in!" then the body will react AS IF someone was really breaking in! Your heart rate will increase and your body will become stressed. Its wild! So my thoughts, about something of which I cannot control (btw), were making me crazy. So, here's my thought - HA - for the day: When your brain starts taking you somewhere in the future or the past - remember - there is nothing you can do about either one of those. The past cannot prevent you from being in the present moment and the future isn't even here yet - why worry? Worry is a waste of perfectly good time and energy.
When I go to the doctor he will tell me what he tells me. And in that moment I will accept whatever he says. Then, and only then, can I do anything about it.
Cheers to all! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

No comments: