Friday, July 13, 2012

Pathology Report

So, I was re-reading my pathology report and saw that I had not 1 but 2 tumors!  Why did no one tell me this?  Although Tom says he thinks he knew.....?  I must have been high....lol.....because I don't remember anyone telling me this.  The first tumor I knew about.  It was 3.2 cm and was just under the nipple and was also in the dermis.  The second tumor was deeper.  It was 1.5 cm and was on the skeletal muscle.  Now I have so many questions?
When any tumor is removed they try to get what are called "margins" around the tumor and these margins need to be disease free.  If they get "clear margins" then one is supposed to think that they are safe.  The first time I got cancer the surgeon's path report showed clear margins.  And this time the clear margins were supposed to come from the fact that all the breast tissue was removed.  But how does one ensure clear margins when the tumor sits on the muscle?  They didn't remove the muscle as far as I can see/feel.
I have requested the surgical operative report so I can see what exactly he did in there.  But I was already freaked out enough.  This information has not helped at all.
Sigh......I hate cancer and everything that it has taken from me.  I am becoming a different person and I don't like me very much now.

No comments: